20: making and sharing podcasts and videos

December 15, 2015 – 10:45 am
ACULibrary

photo of a microphone and computer

Audio

Audio may seem ‘old school’, but it can be useful to researchers in a number of ways.  As a dictation tool for quick note-taking and capturing ideas, or for recording interviews that can be transcribed later. Podcasts are also a popular method of sharing and promoting information to a wider audience.

Recording

You may already have some basic sound recording software on your computer. It is recommended you use an external microphone (preferably a USB mic) to give you better quality sound and to get rid of any background noise.  Consider the following software packages:

Most smartphones come with an inbuilt sound recorder for voice memos.  If you don’t have one or are looking for something more professional, there is something to suit you platform and budget via Android or Apple.

Editing

Most of the sound recording software will also come with editing functionality. However, here are a couple that you might want to have a play with:

Sharing and hosting

Basic audio files can be shared between colleagues very easily using tools such as Dropbox, which were covered in Thing 4. However, if you want to promote your research widely, perhaps you should consider creating a podcast.

audioboom is is a website and an application for iOS and Android which allows users to listen to, record and share sound files (you might have know it previously as Audioboo). “audioBoom allows smartphone and website users to record, upload and playback digital audio recordings, which can be then listened to on the audioBoom website, listened via the apps, embedded in a user’s own website, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr feed, and submitted to iTunes as a podcast feed. Image, location, title, description, category and tags can be enclosed with any uploaded clip” – wikipedia.

Podbean: Another podcast hosting platform, Podbean is again both desktop- and app-friendly and is designed to be shared through a number of the major social media channels.

Video

YouTube is the second highest-used social media platform in Australia, which gives a clear indication of the power and outreach of video. Consider the popularity of TED talks, which have now branched out into TEDx and TED-Ed talks. The Khan Academy has also changed how we learn online. However, MOOCs continues to be a big influence on higher education and teaching, sharing content online through the medium of video. Even if you simply want to record a performance, lab experiment or interview as part of your research, there are several low cost ways of capturing video, including web cam, portable device or even your trusty digital camera.

If you film your video in one take – congratulations to you!  Most of us will need to edit what we’ve recorded. This also allows you to add introductory images, overlay audio and music and use more professional transitions between scenes. Your computer will already come with some software programs you can use.

YouTube allows you to record and upload directly to their website as well as perform basic editing and effects. YouTube’s recent iOS app makeover includes video editing features – Mashable. And of course there are many, many how-to videos on You Tube (an example).

The Mashable post on “Ten excellent video editing apps” is also useful.

Publishing your video

You can put your video up on a video hosting site such as YouTube or Vimeo, and these are often the best place to start. Once you’ve uploaded a video there, it’s easy to grab a code snippet that allows you to embed your file in a blog, or on another website.

Saving your data

If you have used audio or video to capture data for your own research, you will also need to think about long-term storage.

Question for Thing 20:

Share a video or podcast that you has had an impact on you? What made it so?? Have some fun with this- it may be a TED talk or a podcast or someone explaining or demonstrating their research or interests??

Image credit: https://pixabay.com/en/microphone-audio-radio-computer-639192/

Tags: , ,

1. 13 Responses to “20: making and sharing podcasts and videos”

2. For perhaps the last 10 years, I have listened to one episode per week of ‘In Our Time’ with Melvyn Bragg (radio/internet radio/podcast). The general format is that a topic is discussed by 3 academics and Melvyn hosts/moderates. I love that the structure of the show reminds the audience that ‘truth’ and ‘the facts’ depend on your perspective, experience, assumptions and methodology. The three guests are rarely from the same discipline so you might listen to a very convincing and rational argument from an Asian Artist, which is challenged by a European Historian, but supported by an Australian Scientist. I love that you can’t be a passive listener of this series, and as you hear the arguments put forth you need to be engaged in critical thinking so that you can agree or contest points whilst still gaining a general understanding of the topic. The discussions are equally strong and polite, and Melvyn takes care to ensure that ideas are challenged and not people. The format and guests seem to be able to make nearly every topic interesting and the series has definitely made an impact on my book and journal article reading. (I also feel the need to mention close in second position for me would be Laurie Taylor’s Thinking Allowed podcast.)

By Tatum on Dec 19, 2015

3. “in our time’ is a great podcast to highlight. The breadth of topics is just amazing.

By ACULibrary on Dec 23, 2015

4. I like to listen to podcasts while on public transport, mostly from the ABC’s Radio National.
    My favourite program is “Conversations with Richard Fidler” http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/conversations/
    I like “Conversations” because:
    1) each podcast is just under an hour, which gets me from home to work
    2) the guests are interesting
    3) often they are people I’ve never heard of, but probably should have
    One of my favourite episodes is “The Fine Cotton affair” http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/conversations/best-of-2015:-the-fine-cotton-affair/7014632
    I arrived in Australia at the end of 1984, a few months after events described, and still remember all the fuss. This podcast is not research-related, just pure entertainment. And sometimes that’s just what I need.

By Gertrud on Jan 4, 2016

5. thanks for your list.
    I have been known to say that I wish I did have a commute so that I could listen to more podcasts. I am 5 mins ride away from work, so just don’t and listen to the birds and the traffic.
    I don’t always listen to Conversations but Richard Fidler has a nice manner and a great conversational style and I like finding out about interesting people also.

By ACULibrary on Jan 5, 2016

6. As the dinosaur that I am, I have never listened to a podcast, thanks for the 2 suggestions above!

By Nica on Jan 7, 2016

7. I would never call you a dinosaur. It is completely a preference. But there are soooooo many great podcasts out there, and pod-casting would be another great option for disseminating research.

By ACULibrary on Jan 8, 2016

8. I follow quite a few iTunesU courses, and listen to the lectures. When I had an hour’s drive each way to work I could get through quite a few courses quickly. The ones I enjoyed most were Yale’s Early Middle Ages and La Trobe’s The Roman World.

By Tracy Bruce on Jan 8, 2016

9. Good reminder re iTunesU – thanks!

By ACULibrary on Jan 11, 2016

10. How fun! I was going to share some clips of cats…But in work life… I think video is fast on the rise in terms of resource format. When we develop resource guides like lib guides and LiL we look for video or we make captivate videos. In business we have Hernry Stewart Talks which is a subscription database of business and marketing lectures, it is fast becoming a resource academics rely on and link to in Leo for their units all the time. In Melbourne Meena is working on developing blended learning units that are super interested in adding video content to their LEO units. In BUSN110 Communication and Reasoning the assessment question for 2016 is based on the rise of Video format. I’m not into Podcasts right now – if i have free time i enjoy silence!!

By sally kudrna on Jan 15, 2016

11. multiple literacies….

By ACULibrary on Feb 5, 2016

12. Wow, so many to choose from! I am not a huge user of these resources except at Christmas time when everyone sends around the great YouTube Christmas things that always add a smile to your face :).
    My use of podcasts has ben to listen to Margaret Throsby’s midday interviews if I have found out that it is a person of interest and wasn’t able to listen to it live to air.
    I have also seen a researcher record interviews as part of their Master Studies forming the qualitative component of their research. They then transcribed the interviews and extracted the relevant parts. The recorded elements that formed part of the thesis were edited and captured in snippets and sent to the supervisor as attachments to the final thesis – so an interesting way to include the technology as it relates to research.

By Helena on Mar 9, 2016

13. The growth of podcasts is quite amazing. Stories such as this one http://www.infinitespada.com/prspectives/the-unexpected-rise-of-podcasts/#sthash.eQhnHJH2.dpbs try and explain why it is so popular. I think there is great potential in the research sphere. And even NHMRC has podcasts- https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/media/podcasts – although this is from 2010- some interesting podcasts there?

By ACULibrary on Mar 9, 2016

1. 1 Trackback(s)

2. Dec 15, 2015: 23 Research Things @ACU » Blog Archive » 21: managing video and audio material

Post a Comment

*