21: managing video and audio material

December 15, 2015 – 10:46 am
ACULibrary
1927:  The actress Renee Adoree (1898-1933) plays with a stuffed lion during a break in the filming of, 'The Show' (directed by Tod Browning and produced by MGM) in which she stars with John Gilbert.  (Photo by Margaret Chute/Getty Images)

1927: The actress Renee Adoree (1898-1933) plays with a stuffed lion during a break in the filming of, ‘The Show’ (directed by Tod Browning and produced by MGM) in which she stars with John Gilbert. (Photo by Margaret Chute/Getty Images)

We have very quickly looked at screen capture tools (thing 19) and making and sharing podcasts and videos (thing 20). There are a lot of resources out there, and here is just the start of a compilation of tips, links and advice…

General video and audio production guidelines

Audience: Who do you want to watch your video? Does it need to be private or will you allow anyone view it? These factors can influence the production style and hosting options required.

Production aspects: What equipment do you have available? Will you film yourself or need help in production?

Video quality: There are many aspects that go into getting quality video production, it’s not just what type of camera you use (although a good camera helps!).

Audio quality: Having the microphone close to the speaker with a lapel or a shotgun on a boom is great way to get clear speech. Using the on-camera microphone is generally not recommended unless the speaker is less than 1 meter away. Be aware of background noise when filming and look for quiet locations. Before exporting your final version, make sure the audio is as loud as can be without distorting.

Formats: The most common format for delivery online is h.264. Keep in mind that services such as YouTube and Vimeo recompress uploaded files for delivery to multiple devices. Details for YouTube.

Privacy: Think not just about who your intended audience is but also about who it isn’t: how wide an audience are you aiming to reach? Are you producing content that should be limited to an internal audience, for example? Vimeo has good privacy controls over videos whereas YouTube’s offerings are more limited.

Copyright: Be aware of the various copyright policies regarding online audio and video. Generally speaking, don’t include any third-party content without permission or correct licensing.

Releases: Before recording, make sure the people in your audio or video recording are aware of where the video may end up. Do you need to get signed photo and audio consent forms from participants?

Video Transcription and Captioning: How will this happen? How accessible is your video?

Other helpful notes
If you need copyright-appropriate images, clips or sounds/music to use in your podcasts, videos or presentations, there are some great search tools out there:

Question for Thing 21:

What other comments, suggestions, tips or tricks can you add to this post?

Image credit: Renee And The Lion. Photographer. Encyclopædia Britannica ImageQuest. Web. 15 Dec 2015.
http://quest.eb.com/search/115_2837115/1/115_2837115/cite

Tags: , ,

1. 10 Responses to “21: managing video and audio material”

2. I think it’s a really good idea to think of the lifespan or lifecycle of audio/video. Such as:
    Will you remove the content when the systems demonstrated or information conveyed is no longer up-to-date?
    Will older information still be useful for historical interest?
    Should you set a review date and what is the outcome of the review?
    Is this a short-term project or a long-term strategy?
    What is sustainable?
    How and when will you evaluate its usefulness and usability?

By Tatum on Dec 19, 2015

3. I think these comments Tatum are going into this thing (if we ever do this again!). thanks for your considered responses.

By ACULibrary on Dec 23, 2015

4. Sorry, cannot think of anything else to add.
    I didn’t know about morgueFile which has some great photos. The YouTube Audio Library was news to me too. Some interesting stuff, however YouTube implies that its only ok to use the tracks for videos uploaded to YouTube.

By Gertrud on Jan 4, 2016

5. The only other thing I would add would be if you are making a video of yourself, think about the background, I did a MOOC where the lecturer recorded herself but the background was really busy. If you are filming yourself as well, put a dot or your script as close to the camera as possible, again, not fun watching someone reading something and not looking in your direction.
    If you can when recording, do it in snips so the listener doesn’t have to hear you gulping your drink periodically! (superficial stuff I know…)

By Nica on Jan 7, 2016

6. All important. They may seem superficial to some, but can distract from learning, so they are important!

By ACULibrary on Jan 8, 2016

7. I don’t have many more extra tips. I always found that Vimeo tended to have better video quality than YouTube, but I think YouTube is more accessible and well-known to people. It was good to be reminded about Morguefile which I had used in the past, but forgotten about.

By Tracy Bruce on Jan 8, 2016

8. YouTube is the second largest search engine in the world!

By ACULibrary on Jan 11, 2016

9. They are all good suggestions. I’m not an expert on video editing. But if I ever need to record and edit, I will keep the points mentioned in mind.

By Vicki on Jan 21, 2016

10. I have learned so much from these last 3 things that I have had very little interaction with previously but when I started to think about what can be used and for what purposes it made me start to think. I have my reservations about MOOCs in general and the copyright associated issues with them – particularly in enabling 3rd party provided resources. Great tips on what to take into account when making a video and who might be viewing it in the future.

By Helena on Mar 9, 2016

11. My reservations around MOOCs are also about engagement and actually doing them! I have participated in a library specific HyperLib MOOC which I really enjoyed – https://ischool.sjsu.edu/programs/moocs/hyperlinked-library-mooc – in 2013, but it hasn’t been run again…

By ACULibrary on Mar 9, 2016

Post a Comment

*