22: on the horizon…what more is out there?

December 21, 2015 – 9:46 am
ACULibrary

photo of people lloking at the horizon over the water

More than just on the horizon…it’s here!

3D printing

3D printing is by no means a new process but it has become very popular recently due to its increasing affordability. It basically works by turning digital 3D models into physical objects by a process called additive manufacturing, where the models are created from a large range of different materials layer by layer. What is 3D printing?

Things to watch/read

Augmented Reality

Again, AR has been around for a while.  AR is “…is a live direct or indirect view of a physical, real-world environment whose elements are augmented (or supplemented) by computer-generated sensory input such as sound, video, graphics or GPS data.” (from Wikipedia: Augmented Reality  which explains the basics with applications to varying areas such as architecture, construction, medical and military).

Things to watch/read

• Aurasma: Aurasma anyone to  ‘layer’ information over a real-world view – whether that’s a landscape or a painting, some text or an object.  Access to the basic tools is free and allows anyone to upload a ‘trigger’ image and create ‘overlays’ that you get when you scan the trigger image. Anyone can then use the free Aurasma app to scan the trigger.
  • Layar: Similar in many ways to Aurasma. Also offers a free basic model (though it may have ads).
  • Google Glass: remember Google Glass a few years ago? Google announced in January 2015 that they were pulling Google Glass from public sale, read Whatever Happened To Google Glass? Should We Keep Waiting?
  • AR at JISC: “…creating AR applications to bring innovation to education, by developing new ways for students to discover supplementary information that cannot be seen by the naked eye and helping them to become inspired by their subjects. By using AR we can provide an innovative learning experience – think 3D maps, discovering rare manuscripts, medical trials or even finding fossils on field trips”.
  • Google Sky Map (Android only): An Android implementation of Google Sky that allows you to use your smart phone or tablet, pointed at the sky, to get location-based information about what you see above you.
  • Ingress (Android only): Perhaps less of an educational tool, Ingress is an augmented reality massive multiplayer online game that uses location-based ‘portals’ at places of public art, landmarks, etc. to shape a story with a strong sci-fi influence.

Question for Thing 22:

Put on your rose coloured glasses. Is there any tool/trend/*thing* out on the horizon that you would like to share or discuss? If not pick one of the links above and read/reflect/discuss.

Image credit: https://pixabay.com/en/park-bench-seat-sitting-couple-289087/

Tags: , , , ,

1. 12 Responses to “22: on the horizon…what more is out there?”

2. I’m interested to learn if anyone participating is interested in the trend of wearables and ‘the quantified self’? I personally am a little creeped out when I see someone wearing google glasses. Does anyone wear an apple/android watch? Has it made you healthier, happier, more productive etc Do you feel like the tech-examined life is all about administration and data entry?

By Tatum on Dec 21, 2015

3. Was interesting that Google pulled Google Glass…and where it goes from this?
    I do wear a fitbit to track steps, but admit that in my day to day behaviours I don’t need it…as I know now if I do certain things how many steps I can approximate for the day.

By ACULibrary on Dec 23, 2015

4. I have a friend with the apple watch and she loves it, her only complaint was that she feels a bit stupid walking down the street asking Siri stuff instead of typing it in.

By Nica on Jan 7, 2016

5. lol, although so many people around talking into their phones…she could pretend to be a spy??

By ACULibrary on Jan 11, 2016

6. I love 3D printing, it was offered as a <a href="https://www.library.uq.edu.au/library-services/3d-printing"service to students at UQ Library and was very popular. I know Macquarie was working on several cross-displine history and IT projects such as 3d renderings of ancient artefacts.

I wear a fitbit and I think it does motivate you to get a certain number of steps done in a day, I also like monitoring my sleep patterns. However, I found the entering of food intake too laborious keep doing.

By Tracy Bruce on Jan 15, 2016

7. Sorry, I stuffed up the code, here’s the UQ link:
    link

By Tracy Bruce on Jan 15, 2016

8. wouldn’t that be great??

By ACULibrary on Feb 5, 2016

9. Sorry, I don’t have my rose-coloured glasses with me today.
    CSIRO’s Lab 22 is very impressive, but consumer 3-D printing just makes me worry about the ever increasing flood of plastic cr*p in this world.

By Gertrud on Jan 22, 2016

10. You make a very good point Gertrud. I prefer to think about the wonderful good coming from this technology…3D limbs, organs. But plastic rubbish all the more trivial 3D printed items as you say.

By ACULibrary on Feb 5, 2016

11. I also have a FitBit watch which I won as a lucky door prize. I do like to wear it every now and again when I go for walks, but sometimes these gadgets and devices can be a bit of a novelty for some time until the next craze of gadgets comes out on the market. I have been curious to try Siri to see how effective this is, but I have yet to give this a go. As for Augmented Reality, I have an Aurasma account and gave it a go to create something, but lost interest. And yes, Gertrud, I think of the environment in light of 3D printing. More disposable products or is this stuff recyclable?

By Vicki on Jan 27, 2016

12. I think I will be the odd one out here. Having looked at much of the detail in the links I find some of the potential use both exciting and scary. The benefits to improving people’s lives such as the example of war-torn communities who have lost limbs absolutely inspiring. Then with the gadget side of things I too am concerned about more junk being released into our community for individual rather than community gain. I also worry having read the information about using products including metals with things like items of jewellery which I see as works of art by an artist and the IP element of this worries me. I love the idea of something like pottery where no 2 pieces are the same when made by hand and see that the threat to uniqueness could be a side effect. My greatest concern at the information shared about the commercial advantage is just that – commercial advantage at what cost. In saying that, I was absolutely amazed at the engineering and technology to create equipment than can do this. Like with all things in life, there are clear advantages and limitations. I was somewhat worried about medical centres producing organs though. It still doesn’t get around the concept of having to take anti-rejection drugs which destroy other parts of the body over time. Our world is made up of people of minds or people of things. I think this fall into the category of people of things.

By Helena on Mar 9, 2016

13. A well considered response and I do not thing you are the odd one out…it’s important that these developments are critiqued and evaluated. I certainly had not thought of the waste produced by all this 3D plastic, and your concern about IP is a real one.

By ACULibrary on Mar 10, 2016

Post a Comment

*