Boston

I’m currently in the very chilly NYC (we had a *blizzard* last night!!!).  When I was planning my trip to New York, I knew that I had to take a few days and head north to the very fun city of Boston, which I did last weekend.

Just 4 hours from New York by train, Boston is a vibrant city full of history, and filled with young people.  There are 11 colleges and universities there, and among those, one of ACU’s exchange partners, the Boston Campus of the University of Massachusetts (more on that later!)

Boston is the capital of the State of Massachusetts and is one of the oldest cities in the USA.  The Pilgrims landed near here, at Plymouth Rock, in the 1620s.  In the 1630s, Boston was founded by a group of English Puritans.  These same Puritan Colonists founded America’s 1st public school a few years after the settlement of the city.

In the late 1770s, many of the events that lead to the American Revolution began here.  In more recent times, Boston was also the first US city to have an underground subway system, which is called the ‘T’ by locals.

I love Boston!  It’s an easy city to get around, something is always on, and there are many distinct neighbourhoods, all with unique personalities.  There’s the North End where you’ll find Boston’s Little Italy.  The North End has lots of cafes  (be sure to stop for cannoli at Mike’s Pastry Shop…YUM).  Cambridge (where Harvard is located) is full of boutiques, restaurants, and hangouts filled with students from all over the city.

Boston and The Charles River.

Boston and The Charles River.

Massachusetts State House - The Capital!

Boston Common, the main park in the middle of town.