New York, New York

Start Spreading The News…

I’m a New Yorker (although Sydney is my beloved adopted hometown)…I try to get here to see the fam and friends every year or so, and it’s super fun to be here now, for Xmas and NYE!!!
It’s been so much fun to see everyone, but I gotta say, it’ll be nice to get back to Australia and have nice, WARM, weather.

We’re supposed to get another snow storm tomorrow!  (What a (great) way to ring in 2010).

So, what’s so cool about NYC?

New York used to called ‘New Amsterdam’.  The Dutch settled here in the 1600s.  In the 1620s, legend has it, the Dutch bought Manhattan Island for $24 worth of beads from the Native Americans.

Since then, lots has happened!

In the 1800s, the city flourished as a place for European immigrants.  More than 40% of American citizens can count their ancestors as coming through Ellis Island/New York.  I am part of this 40% -my Dad’s Grandmothers came from Jamaica & Poland, respectively, and my Mom’s parents came from Ireland.

In the 20th Century, New York emerged as a modern city, encompassing 5 boroughs, The Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, Brooklyn & Staten Island.

Did you know that ACU has an exchange agreement with St. John’s?  St. John’s University is located in Queens, and I had the pleasure of popping in just before Xmas…stay tuned for my next post about St. John’s!

Have a very happy 2010!!!!!!!!!

Radio City Music Hall

Radio City Music Hall

42nd Street and Times Square

42nd Street and Times Square

Grand Central Station

Grand Central Station

Me & My New Mate

Me & My New Mate

Me in Times Square!

Me in Times Square!