My Top 5 Photos (so far)

Kim’s studying in Washington, D.C., USA, and has shared with us her Top 5 Favourite Exchange Photos so far:
CUA

The entrance to Catholic University of America (we just call it Catholic). This building is the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception. Catholic is the only Vatican approved university in North America, so when Pope Francis I was elected this was the place to be. There were TV crews interviewing students and lots of people praying for the new Pope. Each morning on my way to class I hear the bells ring in the new hour and I get to watch the sun rise and set over this gorgeous building.

One of the first things we did on arriving in D.C. was check out the White House. This is the view you don’t see in movies, the rear entrance, and is exactly why I like this photo so much. The White House is beautiful. Many people are surprised at how small it actually is. It overlooks the National Mall and the Washington Monument. I can’t wait to see the White House when the cherry blossoms are in bloom.

CUA3

Capitol Building on Inauguration Day! We were lucky enough to be in D.C. for the second Inauguration of President Obama. It was a long day, but worth it. We had to leave home around 7:30am to catch a train into the city. It took us about an hour to get through security to get into the right area (the line was huge!). We set up a spot along the parade route opposite the White House and tried not to freeze. Around 11:00am President Obama was driven right past us, and we were privileged enough to see him with our own eyes! This photo is the view from Pennsylvania Ave. (which links Capitol Building and the White House).

CUA4

The front of Capitol Building. Located between Independence Ave. and Constitution Ave., Capitol fronts onto the National Mall and overlooks the heart of D.C. From where this photo was taken you can the Washington Monument, Ulysses S. Grant Memorial, and one of the Smithsonian Museums. You can go ice skating on an outdoor rink in the nearby Sculpture Garden, which is particularly nice at night given the view.

CUA5

Me, outside Capitol Building. We did a tour of Capitol Building this day. This is the building were history has been made so many times. It’s quite inspiring to see the statues of all the prominent Americans, including Presidents. I was glad to see some women in there. The rotunda is simply stunning. The mural on the roof and walls has so much detail and depth to it. Driving to a popular mall (in Union Station) means driving directly towards Capitol Building. I can never get used to just seeing it there, in front of me. I can see why they chose to rebuild it after it was burnt down, it truly is an icon of America.

What are your Top 5 favourite photos from your exchange?