Side travel while studying

Kelsey is currently studying at Bellarmine University.  Prior to the semester starting, she did some traveling around the West Coast of America…

Study Abroad is not only an amazing opportunity in itself. It is also a great opportunity to travel the country you are living in. I am currently studying at Bellarmine University in Louisville Kentucky.

Before I arrived at my host University I decided to take the opportunity to travel for two weeks. I flew into San Francisco where I joined a tour group. The bus tour was called the Western Highlights. I arrived in San Francisco a few days before the tour was scheduled to start. It was a strange feeling being overseas by myself exploring a place I had never been to before. I began my journey with a bus full of strangers and ended with a bus full of friends from all over the world. The tour started in San Francisco where we stayed for four days. We explored the city spending lots of time in Union Square shopping and the famous Pier 39 at Fisherman’s Wharf. We also traveled along the coast line to Montreal and Cameral. These two towns were beautiful. They are very old towns and are some of the most expensive places to live in California. We then travel to Yosemite National Park. Although it was such an amazing place to see we had visited at the wrong time of the year. All the waterfalls and creeks had dried up due to the extremely hot weather. We drove a long twelve hours from Yosemite though Central Valley and the Mojave Desert to Las Vegas!

!On my first night in Vegas I explored many of the famous casinos like MGM, Palazzo, Caesars Palace and the Bellagio. The following day I made the trip to the Grand Canyon which was most definitely the highlight of my experience. It was a breathtaking view! It was honestly like I was looking at a picture. I cannot even go close to describing how beautiful it is. After spending another day in Vegas we got back on the bus and drove through Palms Springs to Los Angeles. We spent the first day on an extensive tour of the city. Some of the places we stopped at were: Sunset Boulevard, The Chinese Theatre, Hollywood Walk of Fame, Universal City and Santa Monica. The city is full of life and there are so many people and famous places to see. After the tour ended I was so excited to begin yet another adventure at Bellarmine University.

I have also had the opportunity to go home with one of my friends for Labor Day Weekend. She lives in Cincinnati which is about a two and a half hour drive away from Louisville. Her family and friends were so welcoming and I was able to experience a new place through the eyes of a local. We spent our time exploring the city, watching the Labor Day Fire Works and going to the Cincinnati Reds Baseball Game.

I would definitely recommend travelling before, during and after your Exchange. It is the perfect opportunity. It allows you to immerse yourself in the culture and experience things that are unique to the country. 

San Francisco

Los Angeles

The Grand Canyon!

What adventures have you been on while studying overseas?