A recipe from North Carolina

Lauren is currently studying at the University of North Carolina Greensboro and shares with us a recipe for Okra.

Hey Y’all!

I’m currently on a semester long exchange at the University of North Carolina, Greensboro campus. It is extraordinarily beautiful here and the people are just the friendliest you could imagine! I have thoroughly enjoyed the Study Abroad experience so far, and have been so blessed to experience a life totally unlike my Australian one! One of the great features of travelling to the ‘South’ has been the delicious food. It’s surely true that the Americans love their traditional fare, and the South has some rightly delicious, if not slightly unusual delicacies. I was introduced to fried okra during my first week of living here and it greatly surprised me! The use of the deep fryer here is prevalent and produces some absolutely amazing dishes that I wouldn’t expect to be as great as they are. Okra is vegetable, not unlike the zucchini. I’ve included a recipe below that utilizes it in a truly Southern way: 

Simple Fried Okra

Ingredients:

• 1 cup cornmeal
  • ½ cup all-purpose flour
  • 1½ teaspoons salt
  • ½ teaspoon pepper
  • 3 cups fresh okra, washed and cut into 2 cm slices
  • ½ cup bacon drippings

Method:
Mix cornmeal, flour, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl or brown paper bag.
Add okra and toss to coat.

Heat drippings in skillet over medium heat.

Fry okra in bacon grease, turning often to get crisp and brown.

Simple and surprisingly delicious! Try with melted cheese over the top or any sort of dipping sauce that you fancy. Tastes just like the South in your mouth!