One thing I have done while on exchange that I never thought I’d do

Vanessa has taken advantage of her time overseas…read on to find out what she has done…

At Fairfield University, there are over 80 different clubs on campus and I had a chance to have a little sneak peek at all of them while attending Fairfield’s activity fair. I joined two of the clubs on campus, one was ASA (Asian Student’s Association and the other one is my favourite, which is our school’s improv group – called ‘Your Mom Does Improv’ (YMDI). I tried to join as many clubs as I could, but with my heavy workload and schedule, I could only have time for these two. The experience already of having clubs at university was so different – because ACU doesn’t have many clubs that I could join, so my free time during ACU was spent either studying or shopping around in the city.

I’ve never done improv before, or even explored doing comedy while I was in Australia, mainly because I didn’t get a chance, or I was just lost about where to start. But some of my friends suggested that I take on improv as I like to make them laugh and I just love watching and absorbing comedy. The first improv meeting we had was amazing, as there was a huge turnout and I felt like I could really connect to these people in a way that didn’t involve studying. As we played different improv games – I surprised everyone with my Australian accent, which they took by surprise as Fairfield rarely has international students who study abroad at this school. Improv is just amazing as we just make things up on the spot and the comedy just flows, and I just have so much fun every week, I make sure I never miss a rehearsal that we have, because Improv is what really makes my week at Fairfield because of my friends and how silly we can all get. We rehearse every week so at the end of semester, we can put on a show together. YMDI has three different comedy troupes that focus on different things. One group focuses on comedy characters, another focuses on fast improv with a lot of different improv games and the one that I have joined is where we do random things – which I find better as we can all look for our strengths. Before coming to Fairfield, I would have never thought about doing Improv, because as loud and boisterious as I can be sometimes, I can get shy and nervous in front of people and that can ruin the Improv experience, but I told myself to go for it and try to make people laugh, in which I have succeeded.

On the topic of comedy/improv, just another thing that I thought I would have never done is go to a live taping of a talk show in NEW YORK CITY!! I got the chance to be in the studio audience of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, which he films in 30 Rockefeller Plaza! (I sent in a photo on my last Facebook post with me standing in front of the studios – if you remember!) Anyways, it took me around 200 phone calls to finally get through to the Late Night with Jimmy Fallon offices and I booked tickets for my friend Claudia and I to go on one of the days when we don’t have any classes. We went to New York City and made our way to 30 Rockefeller Plaza and we lined up and got our tickets to get into the show. An hour or two later we got into the show and I was so happy and excited, I almost cried when I was walking down the hallways of NBC to get into the studio. We got to our seats – and we got pretty good seats! We sat in the middle and around the second row, and the house band, ‘The Roots’, were warming up and 30 minutes later, the show was starting and Jimmy came out to do his monologue, and that’s when I almost cried again. The show was so great and it was everything I dreamed it to be. The show was so funny and the experience of watching it live was way better than seeing it on TV.

That’s what I thought I’d never do over here on exchange – joining an Improv group at school and getting the chance to be in the audience for Late Night with Jimmy Fallon!!

Until next time!

Much Love,

Vanessa

Late night with Jimmy Fallon!

Late night with Jimmy Fallon!

Here I am at Rockefeller Center!!

Here I am at Rockefeller Center!!

30 Rock!

30 Rock!