Farewell, Canada

So it has come to the end of my exchange experience as I prepare to return home in just four short days. I have mixed emotions about coming back to Australia as on one hand I am beyond excited to see my family and friends, but on the other hand I am going to miss all my amazing Canadian friends so much.

Living on residence has given me some of the best experiences and memories that I know I will cherish forever. At first it was a bit daunting to know that I would be living with a group of 38 complete strangers but in no time at all everyone became quite comfortable with each other and I now can’t even imagine what it’s going to be like living without them. Whether a group of us were just sitting around chatting, fighting over which television channel to watch, complaining about classes and exams or getting up to mischief at 3am, I have not had a single bad experience living on residence. These people are not only my neighbours and my roommates, but they are my best friends and have provided so much support to me over the last few months. So knowing that I’m leaving them all behind soon is very sad, despite the fact that I’ve convinced several of them to come visit me in Australia. It’s also going to be weird not having them all within a few steps of my bedroom!

I am also going to miss Canada itself as it is no doubt one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. No matter the season, I have continued to thank myself for choosing such an amazing place to spend the last four months. Even though the icy winds feel like they’re freezing my very bones, the snow never ceases to amaze me. Maybe it’s because I hadn’t seen snow before I came here, but to me it is so beautiful and I will go out of my way to walk through it, much to the amusement of my friends who have told me several times that I’m just like a little kid. So while I’ve never been more cold in my life and sometimes I just wish I was back home in the heat, I’m glad I got to experience a ‘real’ winter and see just how lovely it is. Plus, I’ll never complain about our Melbourne winters again!

Even though I have hit some difficult points during my exchange here in Canada, I could never regret making the decision to come here. After all, nothing good comes without some struggles and I feel like they have made the good times even better and more memorable. I am terribly excited to go back home but I know I am going to miss Canada and these amazing, lovely friends I have made so incredibly much. Saying good bye to everyone is probably going to be one of the most difficult things I’ve ever done but I know I will see them again when I return to Canada or when they (hopefully) come to Australia.

So all in all, my emotions are a big mess right now as I prepare to not only to return to my beloved home but also leave behind some of the greatest people I have ever met.