Recipe!

After Thanksgiving, I thought I might do a recipe for one of my favourite southern delicacies that we enjoyed over the holidays.

Sweet potato casserole

Over thanksgiving break I stayed with a friends family, there were so many tasty food we had over the break but my absolute favourite was the sweet potato casserole with pecan topping!

This recipe is taken from Mrs Matthews, who was kind enough to bake an extra serving for me to take back to college.

Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Servings: 8
Ingredients:

• Cooking spray
  • 3 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 5 medium), peeled and cut into 1‐inch chunks
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
  • Kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mist an 8‐inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. Bring a few inches of water to a boil in a pot with a large steamer basket in place. Put the sweet potatoes in the basket, cover and steam until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the potatoes to a bowl and let cool slightly.
  3. Add the honey, egg, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, the nutmeg, ginger and 1/2 teaspoon salt; whip with an electric mixer until smooth. Spread the sweet potato mixture in the prepared baking dish.
  4. Mix the brown sugar, pecans and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a bowl; sprinkle over the potatoes.
  5. Bake until hot and beginning to brown around the edges, 40 to 45 minutes.

YUM-O.  Thanks, Mrs Matthews!!