Where I’ve been during my semester overseas

Hi! My name is Bonnie and I’m currently studying at the State University of New York in Oswego (Upstate New York). I’m in my third year at ACU Melbourne, but would be considered a junior here at college. Since being in the U.S I’ve had the opportunity to visit New York City (NYC) and Miami, Florida.

I stopped in New York City for the weekend before I first arrived here in Oswego. I’ve always want to go NYC so I made sure it was my first stop. It is by far the most amazing city I’ve ever visited. The first thing I did was made my way to Times Square. There are so many things to see and do, you would never get bored. I also rode the subway for the first time which was a fun and interesting experience. At first I was a bit hesitant to catch the subway on my own, but it was surprisingly safe and easy. I also walked through Central Park and went to the Metropolitan Museum.

On my second day in NYC I met up with a friend from back home. We went to the Top of the Rock Observation Deck where we had a view of the whole city. It was amazing to see Central Park, the Empire State Building and even the Statue of Liberty from 850 feet high. I saw a few other places including Grand Central Station, Madison Square Garden and Madison Avenue. Visiting Times Square just once wasn’t enough. I went back at night and it was equally awesome as it was during the day.

Two full days in New York City was not nearly enough to see everything that I wanted to. I’m so excited to go back to the city after the semester is over.

For Spring Break a few of the other international students and I made our way down to Miami, Florida! We were so excited to finally experience some warm weather (the warmest temperature it has been in Oswego since we arrived has been 9°C). Being in Miami was like looking at a post card! South Beach was amazing and was just as I imagined it to be. Every day there would be people rollerblading and bike riding along the beach.

54 BJ2

I was lucky enough to see the sights of Miami including: Coconut Grove, The Versace Mansion, Madonna’s house, Little Havana and a few other places. It was really good going on a tour bus as it was hard to get around to all of these places on public transport. I also went to the Everglades National Park which I was the most excited about. I went on an airboat ride where we had a chance to see the alligators only centimetres away from us. The Everglades National Park is the largest subtropical wilderness in the United States and spans across 1.5 million acres. Obviously we couldn’t see every part of the park, but from what we did see we were amazed. We also had the chance to hold a 3 year old alligator which was a lot of fun.

My favourite part about Miami was seeing a live NBA game! Miami Heat was playing against the Memphis Grizzlies at American Airlines Arena. If you ever come to the states make sure you go and watch a live NBA game. It had the best atmosphere, especially because the game was extremely close the whole way through. Miami Heat came away with a win, beating the Grizzlies by 5 points. Watching the game was such a fun experience and I would definitely recommend anyone coming to the states to see one!

Overall I’ve had a great time seeing both NYC and Miami. There are only seven weeks left for the international students here in Oswego and we have two weekend trips planned; Toronto and Niagara Falls! I would advise anyone studying in the U.S to use any spare time they have to explore what America has to offer.