You Won’t Regret It

Why I chose to go overseas and why you should too!

I came overseas because I wanted to experience university (college) in a different country. I wanted to put myself out of my comfort zone and become more independent. I wanted to travel to different places and meet people from all over the world. I wanted to experience new things and try new foods.  I wanted to experience a complete different way of living… And that’s exactly what I’m doing!

Since being here at college I’ve been able to experience the U.S. education system. College here in America is a lot different compared to university in Australia, but at the same time is very similar! The way that classes and lectures are set out is quite the same. The workload here is quite extensive compared to Australia, but they seem to mark you a little easier here. It is interesting to be in a classroom and see how things are taught and how the other students respond!

I chose to study abroad because I thought it would be a good opportunity to become more independent. While studying abroad you’ll soon get used to relying on yourself- buying groceries, doing laundry, cleaning your dorm room, setting up bank accounts, setting up phone accounts etc. I felt that by coming here I was putting myself out of my comfort zone… It was scary to just jump on a plane by myself, travel to a town I had never heard of and not knowing anyone. But it is completely worth it.

Because I live in an international hall I’ve had to chance to meet and make friends with people from all over the world- Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, France, England, Spain, Germany, China, Korea and a few others. It has been so much fun getting to know the other international students and learn about where they come from! Since being here I’ve had the opportunity to travel to New York City, Miami, Buffalo and Toronto, Canada! Travelling to all of these places has been awesome as I have experienced many different cultures and been able to meet even more people from around the globe.

Being in the U.S. has given me the chance to experience their way of life! I’ve been able to eat some of their customary foods (Buffalo hot wings, Philly cheese steaks, Smores and NYC pizza for example), attend their sports- College hockey and lacrosse teams, as well as an NBA game (and soon a baseball game) and even experience the nightlife in such a small town.

There are so many things that I’ve seen and done- we would be here all day if I was to list them all. Going on exchange has been the best decision I’ve ever made. I’ve had so much fun making friends and memories that will last a lifetime! I would recommend anyone on going on exchange- to any country. You won’t regret it!