Paris!

My name is Georgia and I am from Australian Catholic University’s Ballarat campus. I am a second year nursing student and have just finished a two week stint in Paris with the inaugural intake of students for the CORE Paris Program. It is a 3 week long program in which you complete ACU’s core unit, UNCC300; understanding self and society in intensive mode.

After spending two weeks in the beautiful city of Paris I am going to offer some of my best tips about places to visit and French foods that are a must try.

Paris is a city of numerous iconic monuments, you need two weeks just to try and see them all and even then, it is a tight squeeze. This is a list of my favorite places to visit.

• Le Jardin du Luxembourg: Nestled in the heart of Saint Germain (6th arr.) this garden is absolutely gorgeous. It is home to the Luxembourg Palace and is a lovely place to sit and enjoy a croissant whilst you soak up the sunshine.
  • Sacre Coeur: This church is located at the top of the Montmarte area. The church is high up on a hill and whilst the church itself is stunning, the view of the church from the base of the stairs in front and the view from the front of the church are both breathtaking.
  • Musee D’Orsay: This museum is perhaps the second most iconic museum within Paris next to Le Louvre. Whilst Le Louvre is a must see I have a special spot in my heart for Musee D’Orsay. It is a very open museum and full of light. It is also home to some of the best artwork in the world, notably Van Gogh and Monet.
  • Latin Quarter: The Latin Quarter is an area within St Germain which sits on the bank of the river Seine. It is a maze of small shops which includes souvenir shops, cafes and restaurants, ice creameries and more. It is heavily with tourists and always buzzing but that is part of the fun.

All of the sightseeing you will be doing is going to leave you very hungry so it is a good thing that the French cuisine is one of the best in the world. Here are my favorite French foods, most of which you can find anywhere in Paris.

• Almond Croissant: A croissant that has been made with almond meal so it has a strong nutty flavor. They are succulent.
  • Croque-monsieur: This is a grilled ham and cheese sandwich with extra cheese on top. It sounds simple and it is, but the French do it remarkably well.
  • Choux: A choux pastry is a light ball of light pastry that has been filled with a sweet filling. The filling can be ‘noisette’ (Nutella), cream, caramel… basically anything you can imagine.
  • Crepe: The French are quite well known for their crepes. The best crepes are found at street vendors. They vendors make them fresh right in front of your eyes and you can choose you own filling. My personal favorite is ‘Pomme au beurre’ (Apple and butter).

This is a very brief list of my favorite things I discovered about Paris; the beautiful architecture and the incredible food. If you have the opportunity to attend the CORE Paris program with ACU, I highly recommend it; it is a great opportunity to discover one of the oldest and most wonderful cities in the world. Au revoir for now!