Facts about my host city!

I am loving my host city Denver, Colorado! Before coming here from Sydney Australia I didn’t know much at all about Denver so everything was completely new and fresh to me. There is a range of things to do here at Denver! From going to the mountains to exploring downtown. There are many attractions to keep anyone quite busy here. Denver is absolutely beautiful and each of the towns here are very different so there is plenty to see and do.

• Denver is famously referred to as the ‘Mile High City’.  This is because it sits at an elevation of one mile above sea level. I remember my first week here and I definitely felt the difference in altitude. It just takes a few weeks of getting used to it.

• Denver has a Baseball team (Colorado Rockies), Hockey team (Colorado Avalance), Football team (Denver Broncos) and Basketball team (Denver Nuggets). I’ve been lucky enough to be able to go to a Rockies game at Coor’s Field, which is situated downtown. The atmosphere is so much fun! Everyone gets very into it and there are also a few places inside the venue. Upstairs is newly renovated so there are lounges near televisions to watch the game, fireplaces and several food places and bars to choose from. Also, when there is a Broncos game, the whole of Denver gets quite excited and enthusiastic. Especially since they made it to the Super Bowl last year. If you go downtown when there’s a game everywhere you look you’ll be guaranteed to see a Broncos jersey.

• Denver is one of the sunniest cities in the US with 300 annual days with sunshine each year. We are currently in the Fall season (more then midway through September), and the temperature is still reaching between mid twenties and thirty degrees! In the short time I’ve been here, I’ve seen that the weather can change dramatically with it raining one second then being sunny the next.

• Colorado I’ve been told is one of the fitter states in America. This was not a surprise to me as they are near the mountains and there are many different types of outdoor activities to take part in. From hiking, water rafting, paddle boarding, skiing in winter to bike riding around one of the many parks in Denver. Bike riding is quite common here in Denver.

• Denver is known to brew more beer then any other city. For those that are 21, there are many breweries around Denver to check out.

• Due to Denver’s air and altitude, tolerance to alcohol is a bit lower than it usually would be. For those that are 21 and are able to drink this is something to consider.

• It is the home of Red Rocks Amphitheatre. I’ve been lucky enough to watch OneRepublic perform there. I almost felt that the view behind the stage setup was not real! Absolutely breaktaking venue which is ‘the only naturally-occurring, acoustically perfect amphitheatre in the world’. I definitely recommend checking it out. Besides concerts there is yoga, movies and other types of shows that are shown at Red Rocks.

• Depending on where you are in Denver, if you look to the ‘west’ there is a picturesque mountain panorama at a distance. I am lucky enough to be able to see the mountains from my college! They are popular for people to go to for hiking, sightseeing and many other outdoor activities.

I highly recommend Denver Colorado for anyone who is studying abroad in the States! Especially if you’re outdoorsy and active!