Top Five Things To Do In Greensboro

Hey Y’all! My name is Lauren, and during semester two of 2013, I was an ACU Study Abroad student at the University of North Carolina, Greensboro campus. I absolutely loved my time there and learnt so much about myself and living with others in a world unlike any I was used to. During and after my Study Abroad experience, I travelled a LOT throughout the United States and Mexico. I was very blessed to get to those dream locations: New York, Las Vegas, Miami etc. However, one of my favourite places in the entire country was Greensboro. It felt like home, and it certainly was for 4 months of my life. If you are thinking of travelling to UNCG for your Study Abroad experience (great idea! You should do it!), here are some of my personal recommendations for things to do while you are there:

1. International Civil Rights Center & Museum

Powerful. Moving. Must do. A small town experienced an incredibly significant historical moment. Go here to discover what is was, and feel a part of the American story.

2. Weatherspoon Art Museum

A world-renowned art museum right on campus? You’d be crazy to miss it. Visit when you need a dose of inspiration when writing an intimidating college paper.

3. Greensboro Coliseum Complex.

Go and catch a college basketball game. You don’t even need to know the rules, the cheerleaders are a dead giveaway when the action gets heated. Let alone the crazy wig wearing, pom pom bearing and co-ordinated shirt clad school supporters. An absolute riot.

4. The Friendly Center shops

This shopping precinct has all the shops that you would think of when it comes to an ‘American Mall.’ However, these shops are all outside and spread out, thus you get to earn your Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte walking around them. So worth it.

5. Greensboro Science Centre

There’s a museum, aquarium AND a zoo all in one place? For $12.50?! College students get a discount?!? Unbelievable value and there’s nothing quite as special as getting that personal service at a ‘home town’ zoo.

As much as I enjoyed my time in Greensboro, I have loved coming home and sharing my experiences with others here on home turf. I am a member of the ACU IMAP team, and work together with ACU International to promote the program and work with inbound and outbound exchange students. This program is a great way to transition between home university and study abroad and I’ve made some great friends along the way. If you do end up choosing to study overseas, consider joining IMAP upon your return so that you can keep that incredible journey going long after you touch down on Australian soil.