Core Paris Wrap-up

About a year ago, during Week 12 of Semester 1, I was sitting in a lecture thinking about what I was going to do for my break once I completed all my exams, when my lecturer mentioned that he was going to Paris for 2 weeks. Intrigued, I asked him what he was doing in Paris and he informed me that he was teaching a unit. I asked a few more questions, interested to know what he was teaching, when he told me that it was UNCC300, a Core Curriculum unit that ACU offers abroad in intensive mode.

As a student studying Secondary Teaching I was immediately interested in finding out more about this opportunity, as I was required to complete the UNCC 300 Core Unit as part of my course. So during that lecture I went onto the ACU Study Abroad website and immediately completed the expressions of interest form. I thought it would be a fantastic opportunity to complete one of my required units in intensive mode and also to add to my resume!

A few months later I received some information from the Study Abroad office, attended an online information session and contacted them regarding the application process. It was all really easy to do and Kate and Amy from Study Abroad were so helpful. I decided to just give it a go and apply! I am so glad that I did! I was accepted and got to study in Paris!

The experience was absolutely fantastic. I would recommend it to anyone who has UNCC 300 as part of their course!

Not only was it amazing being in such a beautiful city and having so much time to sightsee and experience the French culture, but also studying this unit in intensive mode was fantastic! We studied modules online before we arrived in Paris, which allowed us to spend the tutorials having in-depth conversations about the content and topics that related to the city we were living in.

One of my favourite things about studying this particular unit in Paris was the way in which we could apply what we had learned in our experiences of the city. The case studies of homelessness and irregular migrants were incredibly interesting because they were so prominent in the city of Paris. I loved learning about human dignity and exploring the case studies in depth, and attending site visits to gain a deeper understanding of these issues. I also thoroughly enjoyed attending French lessons each day, which formed part of our study at the Institut Catholique de Paris, our French University for our time in Paris (You can see a photo of the courtyard and main building of the Insititut below).

The courtyard of ICP

The courtyard of ICP

Our French teacher was passionate and enthusiastic and encouraged us to have a go. I really struggled with the French language but loved learning how to order meals or ask for directions, which was very helpful! Another thing I really enjoyed about studying abroad was meeting so many likeminded people who were studying at ACU’s many campuses across Australia. I have made some great friends who I was lucky enough to share this experience with!

So, if you have ever considered studying a unit in intensive mode during the semester breaks, I would definitely recommend that you consider studying abroad – I have learned a lot about myself, broadened my horizons on a number of international issues, made some great friends, increased my job prospects, and have some wonderful memories as a result of this once in a lifetime experience! If you have the chance, go for it.

I am so glad that I took the chance to do something like this, and I promise you will be too.