Arriving to my host country: My initial thoughts and feelings

Roxy Thomas
Exchange to Regis University, USA

Arriving in Denver, Colorado to begin my journey, as a college student at Regis University was tough at first a million thoughts and feelings where running through my head. These included but were not limited to:

• What will my roommates be like?
  • Will I make friends?
  •  Will I have good teachers?
  • What will it be like without my parents?

But as I walked through the large bordered gates of my American college I was greeted with a chorus of welcomes and I immediately felt at home.

The campus is small which brings about a warm community driven atmosphere, I have met people who do every subject imaginable and wherever I go I know I won’t be alone because there’s always someone to help me out, whether I get lost, or feel really homesick.

I have never had a roommate before so I was a little quizzical at first, but they were really welcoming and super excited to have me. I live in an apartment style complex (Residence Village) on campus. There are 3 rooms each for 2 girls and a shared kitchen/ living space, this has given me the opportunity to not only become closer to them but also their friends.

There are no lectures just smaller classes, my smallest has 9 people, this was hard to adjust to at first but I also have great teachers who understand that classes are a little different in Australia. I have felt homesick at moments but I am busy enough that my minds preoccupied. I have joined the musical theatre club, the bible study groups, gone on outdoor adventures like paddle boarding and hiking and have been to all of the soccer games. Denver is beautiful and very different to the eastern beaches of Sydney where I grew up.  The city is in a valley bordered by beautiful snow topped mountains I have been on a few road trips and I can’t wait to go skiing.

It’s been amazing I continually learn more about myself each day and I am so excited to see where my new adventure takes me.

The Regis Rangers Mascot…. He is a little scary…

The Regis Rangers Mascot….
He is a little scary…

Campus is beautiful.

Campus is beautiful.

One of my amazing roommates

One of my amazing roommates

The mountains before paddle boarding

The mountains before paddle boarding