October Adventures

Carly Prescott
Exchange to the University of Mannheim

The month of October has flown by – it’s been incredibly busy but also super exciting! It feels like yesterday that we were sitting in our communal kitchen planning European adventures to fill the month, so here is a recap of what we have been up to in (and outside of) Mannheim.

We began the month getting the adrenalin pumping on a school trip to Europapark in Rust, Germany – the park was already getting into the Halloween spirit, with the pumpkin ride a highlight. Europapark was followed with a 5:30am wakeup the next morning to watch the Hawks go back-to-back-to-back. I celebrated the win with a bunch of Australians, Scots and New Zealanders, and a big breakfast cook-up. The morning was about as good as it could have been without actually being in Melbourne for the game.

The following weekend involved a quick, but amazing trip to Paris, with a student company called ‘PM2AM’ who runs affordable trips for students in Germany. We spent plenty of time admiring the Eiffel tower, and soaked up the atmosphere on the streets.

The third weekend of October was spent in Amsterdam visiting Hayley and Hannah (two other ACU exchange students) in their student residence. I had my first (and probably last) attempt riding on the right-hand side of the road, through the city centre on a wet and busy Saturday afternoon – it was fairly traumatising but I suppose the best way to experience the cycling culture of Amsterdam. The girls looked after me by taking me for some delicious Dutch dessert and cooking up a feast for brunch the next morning.

The final weekend of October was the biggest of them all. Again with ‘PM2AM’ student trips we managed to knock off three countries in three days (although it was probably a little rushed). Our Scandinavian adventure involved a city tour of Gothenburg, Sweden, exploring the Viking history of Oslo, Norway, and relaxing with ice-cream by the river in Copenhagen, Denmark.

(And of course I have been attending my classes at the Mannheim castle during the week…). After an incredible month of sightseeing, it’s probably almost time to start settling down and preparing for our end of semester exams.