Last post from Gannon

Mason Vivian
Exchange to Gannon University, USA

As my exchange winds down to finish the experience that I’ve had is like no other.

To say I’ve studied abroad in another country is something I am very proud of. I cannot imagine the amount memories and friends I would have missed out on if I hadn’t done this. I didn’t think it was going to be that big of a difference studying in America but it was more than I much expected in a good way. I loved the aspect of living on campus with all the other students. This enabled me to make friends so much easier because I would see them every day (because we all lived together) and it added to the experience because it was more than just going to classes and then going straight home.

A big reason I chose America as my host country is because of the sports. I love sports and know that college sports is a big deal so I had to go and see what it’s really like. I would definitely recommend it to those who love their sports, particularly those which are big in the States and get amongst it all.

I found the learning environment very much similar to Australia with lectures and smaller classes but one thing I couldn’t get over was how big the Gannon campus is. Sometimes it took 15-20 minutes to walk to class from home but having a big campus just added to the overall university life.

Before arriving here I was anxious to see how long a semester would feel so far away from home and way out of my comfort zone and thought leaving wouldn’t be a big deal.  But after meeting so many great people and making friendships that could hopefully last a lifetime, it made it hard to leave knowing it may be a long time between seeing them again if at all.

I felt as if I was welcomed so well and made me fit in from the get go. If given the chance to stay another semester (excluding financial factors and coming back to Australia) I would do it in a heartbeat. I couldn’t recommend exchange any stronger and what you learn about yourself is something that is too big to take away from it.

I’d like to thank ACU for giving me and everyone else the opportunity to live and study around the world and the hard work they went through to process everyone through it all.

I’m looking forward to coming home to friends and family and settling in back to life in Australia.