Why I chose to go overseas and why you should too.

Washington Monument

Washington Monument, DC

Catherine

Semester 1, 2016 Exchange to the Catholic University of America, Washington DC

Studying abroad at the Catholic University of America has been one of the best experiences of my life so far. I have met so many people from all over the world. Made so many new friends including Australians, who I can’t wait to keep in contact with when I get back home. I have also been able to experience American college life, which has been very different compared to my experience of University back home in Australia. Living on campus and in dorms with your friends and being able to go back to your dorm and after a 7:40am class and take a nap until my next class at 12:40pm has been very different compared to commuting into ACU. I have also had the amazing opportunity of completing clinical nursing placements on both a Pediatric and Medical Surgical/Oncology Ward.

During my time in America so far I have been able to travel to a few places such as Orlando, Philadelphia and Boston. I am 19 years old and in my second year out of High School. ACU is not far from where I live and where I grew up. The reason I chose to go overseas was because I wanted to experience something very different and outside my comfort zone and I wanted to be able to do this while completing my Nursing degree. Coming to America was my first big trip, previously the longest flight I had been on was 4 and half hours to Perth, which is a very small flight in comparison to travelling 24 hours half way across the world to America.

I have one more week left at CUA and it is all coming to an end so quickly and at such an intense time. In the last week that I am here I also have to complete three exams, pack up my dorm and say goodbye to all the friends that I have made. As it comes to an end I feel like I am going through a whirlwind of emotions. I am sad that I am leaving and I am going to miss all of the friends that I have made, however I am excited to travel and head back home to Australia to see my friends, family and of course my dog. My experience of studying abroad on a whole has been an amazing trip and one that I have no regrets about and will remember forever. However, there were days where I questioned why I was doing this and if it was the right thing. At times during the semester I did miss home and my friends and family however, it took me about a month after being overseas when I realized that this is a fairly normal response and you don’t have to be having the most amazing time every single day. It is normal to have ups and downs – that’s a part of life no matter where you are or what you are doing.

I chose to study abroad for a new experience that was outside my comfort zone, for a change and for a chance to travel and see the world. While I have been over here I known that I have grown as a person in so many different ways. If you have the opportunity to study abroad and go overseas and travelling is something that you are interested in then you should just do it too. It may seem like a lot of money at the time but I would not trade a cent for the experience that I have gone through. I am looking forward to the next month of traveling and I just hope that it doesn’t go by too quickly.

you will question what you are doing and w

and then I am spending one more month travelling to a few major cities around America, who is also Australian however, I met her while overseas. I feel that studying a broad is an amazing opportunity and you should do it if you have the chance and travelling is something that interests you.