Football Game Jarrod Growse

Side Travel

Jarrod – Semester Exchange to Georgia College, USA

Semester 1, 2016Acquarium Jarrod Growse

The beauty of study abroad is not just the opportunity to learn about the culture of your new hometown, but also of the surrounding cities and states. I am currently studying at Georgia College, south of Atlanta in the US. Each weekend here I have had the opportunity to do some “side travel”. Here are a few of the places I’ve explored.

I travelled north to Athens for a weekend, during which I visited the University of Georgia (UGA). UGA is home to the Georgia Bulldogs, the state’s college football team. It was the first game of the season so it was a sell out event with the majority of the crowd supporting the home team. The game has the entertainment and support equivalent to that of a popular AFL final at home. The players were all college students and hence ages between Atlanta Jarrod Growse18 and 25; I was astounded by the level of pressure and support on these students, they had an entire state following their career.

Additionally, I had the opportunity to travel to the capital of Georgia – Atlanta. This beautiful city was full of so many wonders; we visited the World of Coca Cola, the CNN HQ and the Varsity. One of the highlights was the Aquarium, the biggest Aquarium in the US. It was home to everything from sea otters, to Beluga Whales and a huge whale shark. The aquarium was similar to a theme park on the Gold Coast with a live dolphin show and the opportunity to get up close with penguins. Atlanta is home to an exciting nightlife and beautiful skyline, I was lucky enough to experience it all.

Last weekend I travelled to Peidmont Park to attend a two day music festival, Music Midtown. I got to see some of my favourite artists live on stage Music Midtown Festival Atlanta Jarrod Growseincluding Twenty One Pilots, James Bay and Grouplove. The festival had over 500,000 attendees, with 4 stages, food stalls and art displays. I spent the two days dancing and singing my heart out. The festival was unforgettable and one of the most enjoyable parts of my trip thus far.

I have planned a trip to Savannah next weekend, to see the East coast beaches of the US. The following week I will be travelling to Orlando, Florida to visit the very famous Disneyland, and the week after that New Orleans! I couldn’t feel more blessed to be on the other side of the world with the chance to see and do so much travelling as a part of my college studies.