Waffles Anna Salamy

Food, Glorious Food!

Anna – Exchange to VU Amsterdam, The Netherlands

One of my favourite things about travelling is trying out new foods! I have now been living in the Netherlands for two months and over this time I have experienced a number of traditional Dutch foods. Let me share these with you!

Stroopwafel – a delicious type of cookie made from two thin layers of waffle with a sticky syrup filling in the middle. Packets of stroopwafels can be bought in every supermarket and you can also buy them freshly-made at street stands at markets and festivals. When I first arrived at The Student Hotel, where I am living in Amsterdam, I was given my first stroopwafel to try!

Bitterballen – a popular Dutch pub-snack. Bitterballen are deep-fried, crispy meatballs traditionally served with a mustard dipping sauce. They are the perfect accompaniment to a nice cold beer!

Pannenkoeken – pancakes! Dutch pancakes are made large and thin and are served with sweet or savoury toppings. During my first week in Amsterdam I visited the Pancake Bakery and indulged in a delicious pancake topped with strawberries, chocolate and ice-cream! My Dad had proffertjes, another traditional Dutch food. Proffertjes are small, fluffy pancakes, which are made in a special pan. Proffertjes can also be found at street stands at markets and festivals and are typically served with powdered sugar and butter.

Kaas – the Dutch love cheese! There are many types of Dutch cheese and cheese shops can be found all over Amsterdam and the Netherlands. One of the most popular types of cheese is Goudse kaas or Gouda cheese. Gouda cheese is named after the city of Gouda, which is where the farmers brought their cheeses to sell and trade. I would like to visit the famous Gouda cheese market that is held every Thursday.

Hagelslag – sprinkles! Beloved by both children and adults, hagelslag are eaten on bread/toast for breakfast or lunch and on desserts such as ice-cream. Chocalade hagelslag (chocolate sprinkles) are the most popular and my personal favourite!

There are some other traditional Dutch foods that I have not yet tried…

Hollandse nieuwe haring – Dutch new herring is a very famous Dutch food. Herring can only be called ‘Hollandse nieuwe’ if the fish is caught between May and July. The raw herring is served with chopped raw onions and gherkins. The traditional way of eating raw herring is by lifting the fish by its tail into the air and then taking a bite upwards. Raw herring can also be eaten in a sandwich (broodje haring). My Dutch buddy from university has promised to take me out to try this famous food!

Kibelling – the Dutch version of fish and chips, without the chips! Kibelling is deep-fried, battered white fish. It is served with a dipping sauce, either a mayonnaise-based sauce similar to tartare sauce or a garlic sauce. Both kibelling and Hollandse nieuwe haring can be bought from street stands and at markets.