Udon Priya Pagaddinnimath

My favourite recipe: MISO NIKOMI UDON

Priya – Exchange to Nagoya University of Foreign Studies, Japan

During my time in Japan I have made many native Japanese friends. At university it is quite easy to make friends, everyone is so excited to meet you and they are so kind, generous and helpful that it makes coming to university so much fun. Despite there being a slight language barrier many Japanese students learn English in university, so they always try their very best to communicate in English and they are always willing to help if I need it with my Japanese. One of my friends Haruka invited me to her family house for a sleepover. I was so excited for this experience, her whole family was going to be home and I was going to have my first home cooked in Japan. Her parents and sister were so sweet and accommodating, she has a more modern Japanese household but the traditional paintings and certain things such as the mattresses on the floor and the dishwasher (which is on the kitchen bench) were different to an Australian household. I was fortunate enough to have dinner with her family and her mum had made a delicious Miso Udon Noodle Soup, she has been kind enough to give me the recipe and with her permission I will be sharing it with you today.

MISO NIKOMI UDON

Ingredients:  1 Serving

• 1 Packet Frozen Udon Noodles
  • Water for Boiling Noodles
  • 1 Cup Dashi Soup Stock (Bonito Fish or Kombu Seaweed Stock)
  • 1 ½ Tablespoon Miso (Soy Bean Paste), white or red or a mixture is fine.
  • 2 Teaspoon Sake
  • 1Tablespoon Soy Sauce
  • 1 Teaspoon Sugar
  • 2 Slices of Kamaboko (Fish Cake)
  • 1 Cup Boiled Shrimp (You can put Chicken or Vegetables instead of Shrimp)
  • ½ Aburaage (Deep-Fried Tofu), Sliced into ½ Inch Strips
  • 2 Inch Negi (Leek or Green Onions), Diagonally Sliced
  • 1 Poached Egg
  • Hichimi Togarashi (Japanese 7- Spice Chili Powder), Opitional Garnish

Recipe:

• In a small pot of water, boil the Udon Noodles for 2 minutes. Once this is done drain them well and put them aside.
  • In an earthenware pot (or a normal pot if you don’t have this) add dashi stock to a high heat and bring to a boil. Once this has been done reduce heat to medium.
  • Take a 1-tablespoon of the dashi broth and add it to the bowl of miso paste and stir well.
  • Then add all the miso mixture to the broth and also the soy sauce and mix well.
  • Next take the sake and sugar and add this to the miso broth.
  • Add Shrimps (Chicken or Vegetables) to the broth and simmer on a medium heat until cooked through.
  • Once this is done place the Udon Noodles into the broth and bring it to the boil.
  • Add sliced Aburaage, Negi and Kamaboko and cook for 10-15 minutes so the Udon Noodles absorbs the flavors of the broth.
  • Add a poached egg into the Pot and close the lid for 2 minutes to let everything cook.
  • Turn the heat off and let the Udon Noodle Soup cool down for 5 minutes. Once this is done the dish is ready to serve and eat.