Croatia Tara Croker

Side Travel from the UK

Tara – Exchange to Bradford University, UK

Before beginning my exchange studies in the United Kingdom, I embarked on three months traveling around Europe. I was able to do this because of the difference in the semester dates between Australia and the United Kingdom. I left Australia in early July and did not start the semester in Britain until late September. I spent three weeks in Italy, two weeks in Croatia, three weeks’ road tripping Spain and Portugal as well as some time in Serbia, Hungary, Austria, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and France. I ticked so many experiences off of my bucket list like bike riding in Amsterdam, sailing on a pirate ship through the Croatian Islands, going to a thermal spa in Budapest, throwing tomatoes at my friends at La Tomatina festival in Spain and many more! It was the perfect break from studying as I met the halfway point in my four-year dual degree. I am a person who usually does a lot of travelling and I have wanted to get back to Europe since being here last time to see more. It is hard to see a lot of Europe being based in Australia because the flight to get over is so expensive and long. So, being able to have the sufficient time and the opportunity to live over this side of the world is a chance I wanted to grab as soon as I could. Being in the United Kingdom studying and living makes it so cheap, close and easy to travel to many nearby places. The budget airlines have outrageously cheap flights to most surrounding places in Europe and the flight time is usually no more than three hours. Since living here in Bradford and beginning my studies, I have also been busy travelling and I am continuously planning adventures for the future. I have already been to Scotland, Ireland, Poland and Morocco as well as explored many places around Britain since the semester has been in progress. During my trip to Morocco, I was able to venture out to the Sahara Desert and spend a night in a traditional Berber camp under the stars surrounded by kilometres of desert sand. In Ireland we explored all of the places that my favourite television show, Game of Thrones was filmed on location. We were also lucky enough to stumble across the film crew for the new season out on location in the middle of nowhere. These experiences as well as many others have been so memorable and I will treasure these moments forever. I am also spending Christmas in London, New Years in the Canary Islands and St Patricks Day in Dublin. I will also be visiting my dream destination – The Great Pyramids in Egypt which I am really looking forward to. I am also already planning a sailing trip in Greece, party time in Ibiza and more travelling around Eastern Europe for next summer before returning home. There are never ending possibilities for the places to go and things to see and I am so grateful and blessed to have been able to undertake this experience.