Samantha – Semester Exchange to Mary Immaculate College, Ireland
Semester 1, 2017
My favourite recipe from my semester abroad:
Living in an apartment with Spanish, French and German girls, I got to learn some fantastic new recipes and meals!
My favourite one without a doubt was ratatouille. It only took a handful of ingredients and was quick, cheap and easy to make.
To make this yummy meal you will need:
(This will make enough for roughly 3 people)
- 1 Onion (preferably white)
- 1 Eggplant
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 container of Tomato Passata
- Various herbs and spices such as
- Garlic salt
- Ground pepper
- Rice for however many you’re cooking for
- Grated cheddar cheese optional
- Boil water and cook rice asap, as the main dish doesn’t requite long to cook and you don’t want it going cold while you wait for the rice to cook!
- Dice onion and cook in a fry pan in a splash of oil until soft
- Chop into small chunks the zucchini and eggplant (I peel the eggplant but this is not compulsory)
- Add to the onion and cook until relatively soft
- Add tomato passata and herbs and cook, stirring occasionally
- It’s really up to your personal taste and opinion as to how hard or soft you want the veggies to be and how strong you want the herb taste to be.
- Once cooked, add to the rice and stir in some grated cheese if you like that kind of thing!
I never liked either zucchini or eggplant prior to this meal but love them now, so don’t let that put you off!
Hope you enjoy it