Life as an exchange student in Mannheim

Sarah McNeil

Exchange to the University of Mannheim

I’m half way through my semester at the moment and I honestly can’t believe how fast it has gone. I am studying humanities in Mannheim, Germany and it’s be a crazy experience. I had never been to Germany before and it was on my bucket list so when the chance to do an exchange came up I chose Germany.

Germany has been great, the location is perfect for travel, I’ve been to so many other countries while I’ve been here as well as travelled throughout Germany. I came here with a girlfriend from ACU and I think it really helped to have someone I know. I booked accommodation in Ulmenweg which is student housing about 15min tram ride from the university and it’s worked out great, there are groceries stores, like Aldi and Lidl across the street and a pizza restaurant in the housing estate (great on a Sunday night!)

I study a double degree in Law and Global studies at ACU but decided to study subjects that wouldn’t usually be available to me within my course and I’m so glad that I did! I’m studying humanities subjects while in Germany, which includes some history and English subjects and I’ve found them really refreshing and different. I would definitely recommend to anyone studying abroad, to choose subjects that you wouldn’t usually have the chance to and that are a bit different. Ultimately for me the subjects I chose could only count towards my global degree and not my Law degree so there was no point studying law if it didn’t further or lessen my workload back home. Therefore I chose history subjects which sounded fun and two English subjects that were really different and out of the box, one is called “Body politics, consumption and culture in a global context” and the other is called “The gothic and popular culture.”

I can honestly say that I’m going to miss this place when I’m done, but mostly because of the travel that I got to do and the people I met. Mannheim is definitely not one of those cute German towns with cobbled streets and cafes all around, but it has everything you need.