Goodbye Mannheim!

Kaylah Hunter, 
University of Mannheim, Germany

The time has come for me to leave the city I’ve called home for the past 4 months, and I won’t lie, I’m getting a little teary writing this. I won’t be home for Christmas but instead am travelling through Europe for the next month and half. It’s incredibly exciting though I am so very excited to come back to Australia when I do.

However I am sad to leave Mannheim. It’s a little industrial city famous for the University of Mannheim located in the beautiful palace. Going there feels like attending your own mini-Hogwarts! I have loved seeing its campus bustling with life and hearing people speak of all accents and languages. I even studied an Australian History class- in the middle of Germany!

In my time here I have been lucky enough to experience some new adventures; a day trip to Strasbourg in France, visiting the Christmas markets in Heidelberg, day trips to Frankfurt which is the economic powerhouse of the European Union and of course many parties with other international students. It’s been amazing to speak with people from all over the world and to learn about new cultures from people who live it. I was able to finally experience snow falling for the first time and waking up to find snow in the street!

It’s been great for practicing my German and I highly recommend that anyone coming to Germany learns the basics of the language as it is a massive help when trying to get around, ordering food and just even shopping at the local supermarket.

I was quite nervous about coming to study abroad, despite having been to Germany before, and to leave home for such a long time. But I can honestly say it has been worth every second and it is quite easily one of the best experiences of my life and is one of the best things that I could have done for myself as a person.