Arriving at Santa Clara!

Carly Siscos
Exchange to Santa Clara University

When I first arrived in Los Angeles I called my mum and dad in tears and then after the 20 minute phone call of them reassuring me that I had made the right decision to go on exchange I didn’t cry again, until I had to leave Santa Clara!

Arriving at Santa Clara the first day was so daunting and the fear of not making friends is definitely on your mind as you are trying to make good first impressions. As I am a shy persons these emotions were escalated but if you want to make the most of your experience, like I did, you just need to go for it, start conversations, go up to people, go to all the events at the school and just meet as many people as you can because it definitely makes your exchange experience so much more amazing. Because I made such close friends it made homesickness so much more easier to deal with because on a college campus you are constantly surrounded by people, you aren’t alone and close friends are able to take your mind of missing your home, friends and family.

I was lucky enough to have the most amazing housemates, (all American girls), so naturally they were fascinated with my accent and all the Aussie slang i would casually say. Becoming so close to these girls, I would never imagine that in such a short semester we would all become life long friends.

Also Santa Clara’s campus is absolutely amazing (another incentive to go there), it actually looks more like a resort then campus, there are fountains and palm trees everywhere. Being in the middle of California, San Francisco is only a 40-minute train ride away, and LA, a fairly long bus ride but I was lucky enough to visit both amazing places!

-I know it is so daunting to travel overseas by yourself and practically start a whole new life but the experience is so worth it so definitely try and get out of your comfort zone and experience everything that the school and other people you meet have to offer.

-Homesickness is totally normal and everyone will go through it. It doesn’t mean you should give up on the experience!! Stick it out!

-Do everything you possibly can!