Challenging yourself and making the most of an amazing opportunity

Edward Bituin
International Core Curriculum Rome Program
January 2018

I remember the day I left for Europe, I was overcome with feelings of worry and uncertainty that ultimately made me question why I decided to apply for the International Core Curriculum Program in Rome. As I had planned to do some travel before and after the program I would be spending 30 days in Europe without friends and family and just the thought of that made me extremely homesick. Also, being placed in an unfamiliar environment, it is only natural that I would be challenged to adjust to my surroundings.

It took a while for me to find my footing however when I did, Italy and all the other countries I visited provided the perfect learning opportunity to hone essential life skills. When faced with the unknown, I was able to learn more about myself; things that I excel in and what I needed to improve on to transition to independency.

I learnt so much during this program and overall, it was such a memorable experience I will take with me moving forward in life. Not only did I successfully learn how to do the laundry, but learning more about the culture of other countries, being exposed to different people, eating the local cuisine and seeing so many iconic landmarks was such a meaningful experience. I can also say that after travelling to so many different countries and meeting some amazing people along the way, I have grown an appreciation towards people who are able to speak a second language. I often fathom what it would be like to be able to speak another language and interact with others on the same level.

If you really want to challenge and learn more about yourself all while indulging in the fantastic culture, cuisine and lifestyle of another country, then I would highly advise applying for many of the Study Abroad Programs that ACU offers. The whole experience positioned me to have a broader perspective of the world; growing more culturally aware when learning about the different views and values of each country.

The additional advantage of being able to study in Italy was travelling to many other countries around Europe before and after the program at such an affordable price. I was able to visit the Netherlands, France, Italy, Spain, London and Germany all in the past month and I must say that being exposed to the many different cultures was such a unique and amazing experience.

If there is one thing I have learnt during this whole trip, it is that I nor anybody else should be afraid to try new things. Anything foreign should be seen as an opportunity to grow and develop as a person. Consequently, what better way to do so then by going abroad to study, make lifelong friends and explore this vibrant, ancient and iconic city that is Rome.
27744907_1975917299089470_473577874_o 27783051_1975917995756067_1700279606_n