It’s the people who make a place special

Robert Macmillian
Exchange to Catholic University of Eichstätt-Ingolstadt

I’m writing this while sitting at the airport for my flight home. It’s been 7 months to the day since I landed in Europe and today will be my last. Leaving has been a mix of feelings but this last week has been the roughest on me. Having to say goodbye to so many familiar faces, some of which have become my closest mates has been the hardest part. On exchange you pick up a routine, a group of friends and a comfort-ability. Leaving it all is much harder then I imagined.

Throughout my time I travelled to 14 countries and met countless people who will always remain a part of my life. I’ve such a love for Germany but through other exchange students have made plenty of mates from all parts of the globe. It’s weird to think but exchange is nearly a double life. I have two different worlds on the opposite sides of the globe. The constant travelling may be over for now but the memories will always remain.

From 7 months ago leaving Australia not knowing a single person to creating a close group of friends is arguably the best part of this experience. I’ve been to so many places I never thought I’d ever get a chance to go but I’ve slowly learnt that those places really didn’t mean much, but it was the people I was with that made those places great. Those same people who although I won’t get to see them everyday like I have been when I catch up with them again I know it’ll always be the same. Going back to everyday reality is going to be rough challenge but with a trip to Australia in December booked for 3 of my closest German mates I have something to look forward to all year long.