University of Iowa Libraries and Provost Office Launches Open Access Publishing Fund

23/04/2013 – 9:07 am
Tony McCall

[Last] week, the Office of the Provost and UI Libraries established a $50,000 fund to cover researchers’ publication fees for open access journals, which can be as much as $3,000. Library officials say it will be an annual fund.

When researchers publish in an open access journal, they’re charged a publication fee. Mike Wright, UI’s interim associate university librarian for collections and scholarly communication, estimates that fees range from $100 up to $3,000. For researchers who don’t receive grant funding for their work — funding tends to concentrate in the medical and biological sciences — the fee is enough to deter them from open access, he said.

“If I’m an assistant professor in a humanities discipline, I’m probably not bringing in a huge salary, and a $2,500 publishing fee is a heck of a lot of money,” Wright said. “If I have a choice between an open access journal and a traditional journal that doesn’t charge me, I’m probably going to go with the traditional journal.”

More, and link to full article, at:-
http://www.infodocket.com/2013/04/22/university-of-iowa-libraries-and-provost-office-launches-open-access-publishing-fund/

author: Gary Price
source: InfoDocket (22/4/13)

Tags: , , , , ,

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.